Author's Journal: Organizing Your Research





I recommend a three or four pronged attack on research organization. Yours may vary from mine somewhat because I save none of my research on the computer. You will need to keep many files: chronology files, character files, setting files, procedure files, cultural practices files, and many others. I have four filing drawers in two cabinets beside my desk. The rest of my files are in crates – four of them, in fact. Those eight file “drawers” represent one story. Two of those drawers are devoted to the operation of my computers and my printer, my professional contacts, and my writers’ organizations. I also keep some files on my submissions in these.

I also have two sets of book shelves and I use sticky notes to indicate pages containing important information – which I label. My books fall into two primary categories: books related to my story and those on technique.


Aside from all this, I have two large boxes which contain copies of old newspapers of my period and place. I use sticky notes on these as well since my story is a political and business story which progresses chronologically. I label these by topic and date and fasten them together in six month periods. They represent the 10 years of my story. They all come from microfilm I’ve had to copy. I can thank these papers for knowing the comings and goings of nearly all of the primary characters of my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment